Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Federalist vs Anti-Federlist Interview

We have talked about Prop 19 a few times in the class so I thought that interviewing someone about it would be interesting. Basically, if Prop 19 passed, marijuana would be legal in California. However, the FDA is currently fighting "A War on Drugs" in all of America. If the prop passed, the FDA would still be able to arrest people who had anything to do with marijuana because it would still be illegal under federal law. It's a pretty strange thing that it's legal and illegal at the same time so I thought it would be good to interview someone about this.

Interview of Kelsie Rich on Prop 19
{via gmail}
me: What do you know about Federalism and Anti-Federalism?
kelsierichy: so like... federalism is when you  want every law to be passed as a county and anti-federalism is when every law brought up is only in states
like in Oregon pumping your own gas is illegal but here it isnt
 
me: Have you heard of Prop 19, which failed this November?
kelsierichy: yes
 
me: What do you know about it?
kelsierichy: To Legalize Marijuana. Which I am glad failed because everyone would have taken advantage of the medical use of this drug.
 
me: Did you know that even if it passed, it would still be illegal under Federal Law?
kelsierichy: Kinda. Cause the different branches have to work in unison in order to pass a law. WHICH makes it very difficult for any new law to be passed
 
me: So Prop 19 is an Anti-Federalist movement, right?
kelsierichy: Yes
 
me: Does this remind you of any other Anti-Federalist movements?
kelsierichy: The difference between Slave states in the south compared to the Free states in the North
 

No comments:

Post a Comment