Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Life: The Book & Humanities

1. Post the stage of life that you will write about and a relevant element of genetic technology that interests you. Feel free to work with Brandon to understand this step.
(I still don't know if I've been accepted into doing this but..) My stage of life will be Adulthood. I will be doing Parkinson's Disease adulthood because it's very unlikely for a child to get Parkinson's. Parkinson's Disease (PD) is rarely genetically passed down however, it's more likely to randomly get PD for no apparent reason. 15% of patients with PD do have a relative with the disease.

2. Describe at least one relevant government agency that works in this area. Describe the current news related to your topic & this government agency and embed a minimum of one news story (print, tv, audio, etc.) in your description.
I couldn't find any agencies, but there is a lot of news surrounding my topic. Stem cells play a crucial role in curing PD. So naturally, there are people who are against things that are logical. This is why there is a lot of news for PD; some people don't want to fund stem cell research which would help cure PD, while other people do.

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/parkinsons-disease/

3. Describe at least one relevant historical, cultural, economic, geographical, or literary example or concept that relates to your ideas for your article. Include at least two relevant links to evidence and further research in your writing. Strive for detail & evidence in your connections.
The major thing with PD is, like I said earlier, stem cell research and the controversy behind it all. Here's an article that's on the opposite stance on this topic as I am:
http://wap.bible.org/article/continuing-controversy-over-stem-cells
Stem cells are needed for curing diseases such as PD and we should fund their research. The ethical issue is with the embryonic cells that are needed. I obviously need to research more because this article makes me think of scientists cutting open a pregnant woman and chopping up her baby to get the cells needed.
http://nydailynews.healthology.com/parkinsons-disease/article789.htm

I
Another topic I could do is Beyond. I would do What is Death? That question is really intriguing because no one knows, and no one will ever know. For biology I will try to figure out if scientists have come up with anything that a person's mind may do right before they die. I heard that it does something similar to what it does when you fall asleep, so that may be interesting; when you die you just dream forever. This whole topic is strange and interesting at the same time.

II
I doubt there are any government agencies related to just death, and I can't really find too much about solely death. I can mainly just find articles about people who died, and people who are dying in wars etc. Here's an article I found
http://drolleriepress.com/authors/guest-blog-jennifer-cloud/
Also, the movie the Matrix keeps coming to my head when I think of this topic. Specifically, a quote from Morpheus. "What is ‘real’? How do you define ‘real’? If you mean what we can taste, smell, hear and feel then what’s ‘real’ is nothing more than electrical signals interpreted by your brain.”

III
The main thing with death is that no one knows what happens. It's just an idea. It's a very confusing topic and there are so many questions regarding death. What happens when you die? Are you dead forever? Won't you get bored of being dead forever? It's such a strange thing to comprehend when you think about it.
http://www.lightparty.com/Spirituality/AbsurdIdeaOfDeath.html

No comments:

Post a Comment